Sunday 2 March 2014

Review: Teardrop, by Lauren Kate


Teardrop, by Lauren Kate book cover

Title: Teardrop
Author: Lauren Kate
Series: Teardrop, #1
Format: Hardback, owned
My rating: 2.5 / 5

Add to Goodreads


Never, ever cry...

Seventeen-year-old Eureka won't let anyone close enough to feel her pain. After her mother was killed in a freak accident, the things she used to love hold no meaning. She wants to escape, but one thing holds her back: Ander, the boy who is everywhere she goes, whose turquoise eyes are like the ocean. And then Eureka uncovers an ancient tale of romance and heartbreak, about a girl who cried an entire continent into the sea. Suddenly her mother's death and Ander's appearance seem connected, and her life takes on dark undercurrents that don't make sense. Can everything you love be washed away?

-- As seen on Goodreads


My Thoughts


This has to be the prettiest cover I’ve seen in a while. I mean look at it! I have the hardback, and it’s just as beautiful in reality as on the screen. But, there is that little thought running through my head: “Don’t judge a book by its cover…”


I’m torn. The book is not bad, but my problem is there is nothing new or unique to make it stand out. Everything was the same; the characters were familiar and what occurs throughout the story has happened dozens of times before, dressed in different ways. I wanted more Atlantis and its myths and much less of the unrealistic romance and overly dramatized teen problems.


Everything revolved around Eureka and her emotions and her feelings for Brooks and Ander. It just seems like a waste when there is so much you could run with when using Atlantis as a topic. Another little gripe: The MC’s name. Eureka. It didn’t fit or read easily. I actually kept replacing her name with Erica. I personally would prefer it, and it flowed better while I was reading.


I’m on the fence about continuing the series. I think I’ll wait until the sequel is released and have a look at the reviews and reactions to it before deciding.




1 comment:

  1. That's disappointing to hear. i really liked the Fallen series by Lauren Kate, so I was going to look into this series too. I hate you didn't like it that much. I really had high hopes, especially after Lauren kate said she felt she had done better writing with this book than with the Fallen books. I'll probably still give it a chance, but I think I'll lower my expectations a little. Thanks for the review!
    Kim @ Bookworm Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...