Tuesday 11 March 2014

Top Ten All Time Favorite Books in Fantasy / Sci-Fi.

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme run by The Broke and the Bookish. This week the topic is Top Ten All Time Favorite Books in "X" Genre, and we get to choose the genre.


I know Fantasy and Science Fiction and their respective sub-genres are very popular in their own right, but I’m terribly guilty of blurring them both together. Some of the books on this list do fall into one or other category better, but they still have elements from the opposite genre as well! So, to prevent me from spending days measuring up each book to see which suits it best, I’m going to list my Top Ten All Time Favourite Books in Fantasy/Sci-Fi.


*Note* The books are listed in order of my favourites today, but chances are I’ll have a different order tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that… you get the idea.


1. Angelfall by Susan Ee – I will confess, before I read this book I didn’t think angels were my thing. When I chose to read it I was incredibly sceptical, expecting to hate it. It turned out to be one of those occasions I should have believed the hype, because I was completed wrapped up by page nine! That paragraph at the end of the first chapter where Penryn watches the feather floating to the ground – *shudders*

2. Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout – I have NEVER had an instant hate reaction toward a character before – until Daemon Black came along. I wanted to reach through the pages and punch him so bad! My opinions toward him have changed rather drastically since then. *Sigh* I love this series so much.

3. Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi – This book took me by surprise as I was expecting the typical YA formula. Thank goodness I took a chance and read it. I loved every page in the series, and I'm going to miss it.

4. Lying Season, On Demon Wings and Into the Hollow by Karina Halle – I'm combining three books together, as they are all from the same series. It’s impossible for me to just choose one book from the Experiment in Terror series, and Lying Season, On Demon Wings and Into the Hollow (books #4, #5 and #6) are interlinked quite a bit that I have a hard time separating them. Plus, I read them back-to-back, so that didn’t help! I adore both Dex and Perry: neither is perfect, actually they are far from it, and this just makes them more likeable and real.

5. The Hunger Games by Susan Collins – It’s the Hunger Games. What more can you say! I do think this book should be higher up the list... *sigh* this is incredibly difficult to rank properly!

6. Curse the Dawn by Karen Chance – The Cassandra Palmer series was one my first ventures into a book having an Urban Fantasy vibe, and I’m keeping continuing on with it. One reason I included this book: You just gotta love that green-eyed mage.

7. Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder – This is a really subtle book. It grows on you so quickly, and by a clear mile, it’s the best in the series.

8. Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward – Ah Zsadist. I fell for the hype surrounding him, so I made a promise to myself that I would read the first three books in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I gave it a go, and he really is one amazing character! The series would be completely lost without Zsadist and Bella, and I do think things go downhill after Z’s book. (Yeah, I fell for a vampire named Zsadist… this is one of those moments where you know for sure you are a book nerd!)

9. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer– I can point my finger to this book and blame it for my reading tastes. I went through a really bad reading spell - I’m talking years, literally - where I was reading out of habit, rather than love. Then along came Twilight. If I was doing this list back then, this book would be a lot higher up. Plus, I feel I need to include it here, regardless of it being an awesome book or not: it got me back loving to read again, and that’s worth a lot.

10. Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris – I’m not ashamed to admit that I added this book purely to include Eric Northman in the list… *shrugs*. And you know I'm going to choose the cover with Alexander SkarsgĂ„rd on it!

Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Also leave a link to your post, I’d love to see what made your Top Ten =)


4 comments:

  1. Angelfall was freaking awesome! I can't wait for the next book! It was all so action-packed!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I totally agree, I love both Angelfall and World After. I really hope #3 is released this year, I can't wait any longer!

      Delete
  2. I loooooved Angelfall! I'm really upset that they've moved book #3's release date back to 2015. It sucks.
    I also really loved Obsidian, Under the Never Sky & The Hunger Games. I wanted to punch Daemon so bad too. He was such an ass to start with. I really need to get around to reading Poison Study soon.
    Great list :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooooooooo!! I need my Raffe fix! Another year... Dang it, I think I'll just have to re-read.

      At least we should have a Daemon book to look forward to soon, even though it is the last in the series.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...