Monday 27 July 2015

Review: Fairest by Marissa Meyer


 Fairest by Marissa Meyer book cover

Title: Fairest
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5
Format: Hardback, owned
My rating: 5 / 5

Add to Goodreads


In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana’s story is finally told.

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?


Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told . . . until now.

Marissa Meyer spins yet another unforgettable tale about love and war, deceit and death. This extraordinary book includes full-color art and an excerpt from Winter, the next book in the Lunar Chronicles series.

-- As seen on Goodreads



My Thoughts


Oh wow, where do I begin, Fairest was awesome! I really liked Cress, but I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as I was expecting to. It did affect my anticipation for Winter – I wasn’t really that keen on reading it right away. But now after reading Fairest, I can’t WAIT to read Winter, it really is going to be epic!


In Fairest we get to see from Queen Levana’s childhood right up to her mid-twenties, and the events that shaped her into the evil Queen we know and hate. Holy wow, she is one scary lady! She’s been dealt some really terrible cards in life, and I couldn’t help feeling sorry for her at times. I definitely wasn’t expecting to feel sympathy toward her, and this shows just how fabulous Marissa Meyer is at developing well-rounded characters. I loved getting a better understanding of what warped Levana into the cold, calculating, ruthless antagonist who will stop at nothing in her pursuit of what she wants. Seeing her logic is nothing short of unsettling and repulsive, yet so morbidly fascinating.


The writing style was flawless, as always. I love how crystal clear Meyer’s books are, and how easy it is to imagine everything that’s taking place. I loved learning a bit more about Luna and how the society works. I get the feeling that there’s a whole lot more left to discover, and I can’t wait to read about it in Winter.


Technically, you could read this novella between any of the books in the Lunar Chronicles series, but I do think it’s best reading it after you’ve finished Cress. There are no full-on spoilers for the first three books in the series, but it would be possible to pick up on a few hints that could spoil things slightly. And also, I think keeping the mystery that is Queen Levana for as long as possible is vital. I’m not going to name specific names, but I LOVED seeing some familiar characters popping up throughout the book, and finding out where they are linked into Queen Levana’s story.


Overall, Fairest was an excellent addition to an already amazing series, and I highly recommend reading it. This novella is a must read, and should not be skipped over!






8 comments:

  1. Actually I think this story serves like a backdrop for Winter. But Levana is such a great character to intro here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. It's set up the next book perfectly, and I loved finding out more about Levana. Thanks for stopping by, Ailyn!

      Delete
  2. Oooooh! I really need to read this! I felt the same as you about Cress - it just didn't WOW me as much as the previous books in the series and, like you, that affected my excitement for Winter. I have heard that this book really invokes sympathy for Leanna and I can't really see how that could happen... But I'm excited to find out! Great review! :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh definitely try to get your hands on Fairest, Tracy :D I went into the book thinking there wasn't a chance I'd begin to understand Levanna, but it actually happens! Hope you love it :)

      Delete
  3. YAAAAAY I LOVED IT TOO!! I didn't think I'd ever feel bad for Levana. But. Yes. I did. >_< She just wants to be looooved, and seriously, I think she was so so damaged by The Accident (and just Channery's whole existence, erghhhh, CHANNERY. ERHHHHHG) and I really felt bad for Levana because she was just so inept at....at....understanding. Like faking being her husband's dead wife?! NOPE. So yes!! So much love for the book it's really perfectly written! :D
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cait! I was really surprised I felt anything other than loathing for Levanna, I wasn't expecting it. I think it only made her more frightening, in honesty!

      Delete
  4. I love good villains, and she definitely sounds like one. But, for me to love them, they definitely do need to be well rounded, I haven't started the series yet, but glad we do have this one for more of a background on her and to get to see why she is the way she is, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, do try and start the series soon, Kirsty-Marie! It's the perfect time, with Winter on the way really soon. Hope you love it!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...