Saturday 18 July 2015

Stacking the Shelves and Weekly Wrap-Up: July 1 - 18




Things have gotten a little depressing with my update posts recently, so we’re going to focus purely on the good this week: New Books!


I’m linking up with the Stacking the Shelves meme this weekend.


Books I Bought This Week

I love getting my hands on new books, but I think I’m more of a binge book buyer rather than a grazer. I do occasionally pick up one book here and there – be it a pre-order, or if I’m physically in a shop and see a book I want. But, I usually order my books online and I’ll get quite a few books at once. I do splurge on a hardcover book now and again, but I’m a frugal book shopper at heart and there’s usually some good savings to be made with second hand books. I love matching book covers, but if I have choose between a cheap second-hand book with a different cover or pay full price for a matching cover… nine time out of ten, I’ll choose to save money. Then, I can get even MORE books!



I got two new books and five second-hand books over the past couple of weeks. I pre-ordered The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson on The Book Depository, and I got it on release day which I’m really happy about. I usually pre-order through TBD as they sell directly in Euro’s and have free shipping – huge amounts of WIN for my bank balance! I’ve already devoured the book, and I really enjoyed it. (But, I did like the first book a bit more, though…)



I also got Untold by Sarah Rees Brennan, and I’m a little over half-way through reading it. I read Unspoken (the first book in the series) a couple of weeks ago, and the minute I finished reading I ran to the computer to order the second book. I’m usually a bit more patient than this, but I’ve become completely obsessed with this series and I have a feeling I’ll be ordering the third book the minute I’ve finished Untold!



All of these are the second-hand books I bought. I really want to love Daughters of Smoke and Bone, but… I don’t know if I will. I know so many people love the series, but I didn’t want to fork over the cash for a brand new book just in case I didn’t get into the story. When I saw it second-hand and cheap… it became a no-brainer, so I bought it! Plus, if I like it, I might splurge on the box set of hardcovers… we’ll see! I’ve seen lots of good things about Eon: Rise of the Dragoneye, and it sounds really good. And, okay, maybe the dragon on the cover helped persuade me that I need the book in my life!


I read Say Her Name by James Dawson earlier this year, and I absolutely loved it so I wanted to try out some of his other books. I’ve had my eye on Hollow Pike for a while, and while the book I got is in a bit rougher shape than I’d like, I can’t wait to read it. I started the Morganville Vampire series last year, and the more books I read in the series, the more addicted I’m getting! It’s a really long series but they’re very easy books to read and really entertaining. I found books four and five – Feast of Fools and Lord of Misrule respectively – and I hope to get around to reading them soon.


For Review


The Changeling by Helen Falconer - Huge thanks to Penguin/Corgi Children's Books for this one! (I'm in love with this cover, btw!)


On the Blog Recently

My 10 Favourite Books I've Read So Far in 2015

July 2015 New Book Releases

Review: Cress by Marissa Meyer

Re-Evaluating my 2015 Goals and Resolutions



Hope you have a fantastic weekend, and Happy Reading!




22 comments:

  1. Ooh the Morganville Vampires! I've only read the first book but I loved it and bought the rest of the books. I'm holding off doing a full series read until I get the short story anthology to go with it so I can read everything in order. I don't normally buy hardbacks but I doubt I can wait for a paperback version! I really want to get started on it! Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chuckles! The Morganville vampire series has so many books in it, but they're so entertaining! Hope you get around to reading them soon!

      Delete
  2. I'm not familiar with any of these books, but man the covers are amazing! I hope you enjoy all these. Happy reading! :)

    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor: BLOG || VLOG
    Most recent posts: The Book Shelf Tag || Hermione Granger Doll

    ReplyDelete
  3. These covers are stunning. I got Heart of Betrayal as well this week. I hope you love all of your new books.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you love Heart of Betrayal! Thanks for stopping by, Grace :)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful haul! I still need to pick up Kiss of Deception (eep) but I'm probably going to wait until closer to the third book release to pick both of them up! Also, I've never seen that copy of DOSAB, but IT'S SO PRETTY!
    New follower :)
    -Monica @ Tomes Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd be right to wait for a little while! I really, really enjoyed Kiss of Deception, but ARRGHH it's a YEAR until the next one *sobs!* It'll be worth it, but it'll be a painful wait! Thanks for stopping by Monica :D

      Delete
  5. You've got a great haul this week, lots of awesome looking books. I hope you enjoy them all :)

    Every time I come to your blog I fall a little more in love with your design, it's so pretty! :) I really need to hurry up and read Daughter of Smoke and Bone, have heard nothing but amazing things.

    Charnell @ Reviews from a Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charnell! I've seen so much love for Daughter of Smoke and Bone, but I'm kinda scared the hype will take over. Hopefully I'll love it :D Have a fab week!

      Delete
  6. Awesome haul!! I love the Morganville Vampire series and think I have one or two left to read. I agree that the cover to The Changeling is super pretty :) Have a nice week and enjoy your new books!

    My StS
    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying the Morganville Vampire series so far, I can't wait to start Feast of Fools! Thanks for stopping by, Zareena!

      Delete
  7. OOoh nice! LOVED The Heart of Betrayal! These are new reads to me though! Besides Rachel Caine's that is! Hope you enjoy them all!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed The Heart of Betrayal, too! The wait for the next book will be horrible, though! Thanks for stopping by, Jessica!

      Delete
  8. I really want to check out Unspoken & Untold. I've heard that it's such a great series and I feel bad because I completely overlooked it! Hopefully I'll get to it one day. Enjoy your new books. :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh!! I HIGHLY recommend Unspoken and Untold! I just finished up Untold, and *cough* yes, I DID order the last book straight away. The characters are amazing :) I really hope you love the series if you try it, Krystianna!

      Delete
  9. ALL I SEE IS THE HEART OF BETRAYAL AND I AM JEALOUS. Gonna steal that from you. I mean you've already read it so might as well give it to me hahahha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be more than welcome to borrow it! But, being on different continents might be an issue, teehee! *whispers* It's REALLY good :D Hope you love it when you read it, Val!

      Delete
  10. I have wanted to read Hollow Pike for years, but have had trouble finding a copy. The more I see Heart of Betrayal, the more I want to read it. I didn't like the first one well enough to buy it so I hope my library gets this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd highly recommend the series, Barb! I really enjoyed the Heart of Betrayal :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. It seems like EVERYONE has bought The Heart of Betrayal recently! I still haven't gotten around to reading The Kiss of Deception, although I do have it... I really need to make time for that! The Changeling also looks really good! This is the first I've heard of that one! I'm going to have to check it out... I hope you have a great week!

    Here's my Weekly Recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series is really addictive! I just HAD to know what would happen next, and I ended up pre-ordering it :D I couldn't wait! You'd probably be best to wait a few months, and then read the first two books just before book three's release next year. The wait time until the last book will be kinda painful! Thanks for stopping by Tracy, have a fab week!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...