Monday 24 October 2016

Mini-Reviews: Love Reborn and Fallen


Mini-Reviews: Love Reborn and Fallen


Love Reborn by Yvonne Woon book cover

Title: Love Reborn
Author: Yvonne Woon
Series: Dead Beautiful, #3
Format: Paperback, bought
My rating: 4 / 5

Add to Goodreads


Renée and Dante are dying. The soul they share cannot sustain them both, and they're quickly running out of time.

But Renée has in her possession a legendary chest said to contain the secret to eternal life-if only they could solve the clues that lie within it. With both the Liberum, a Brotherhood of the Undead, and a team of Monitors, led by Renée's own grandfather, in hot pursuit, Renée and Dante must keep the chest safe or risk having it fall into the wrong hands.

With the help of a mysterious letter-writer called only Monsieur, Renée and Dante follow a series of clues that lead them on a treacherous journey across Europe. They seek the Netherworld, a legendary chasm where souls go to be cleansed. It's their only chance at a fresh start, but with it comes a terrible choice, one they never imagined they would be forced to make.

The third novel in the acclaimed Dead Beautiful series is a haunting story of sacrifice, loyalty, and a love that can never die

-- As seen on Goodreads


My Thoughts

A few years ago I picked up Dead Beautiful without knowing too much about it, and I didn’t have the best experience with it. But something told me to push through and try the second one, and I ended up finding two books that I really enjoyed. Both Life Eternal and Love Reborn turned into unique and entertaining reads that I’m so glad I got the chance to read. I’ve been on a mission since the start of the year to continue or finish as many series as I possibly can, and the time finally came to say goodbye to Renée, Dante and Co. It was a very bittersweet ending, but I thought it made sense considering all the build-up in the previous books. The mystery elements were tied up really well, and I loved the journey the characters took across Europe. My only criticisms would be it felt a little too neat, and the last chapter… umm, that’s all we get?! I can’t help wanting to see a little more of the aftermath… but overall, I’m quite satisfied with how it ultimately concluded.


4 Stars Really Liked




Fallen by Lauren Kate book cover

Title: Fallen
Author: Lauren Kate
Series: Fallen, #1
Format: Paperback, bought
My rating: DNF

Add to Goodreads


What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours?

17-year-old Lucinda falls in love with a gorgeous, intelligent boy, Daniel, at her new school, the grim, foreboding Sword & Cross . . . only to find out that Daniel is a fallen angel, and that they have spent lifetimes finding and losing one another as good & evil forces plot to keep them apart.

Get ready to fall . . .

-- As seen on Goodreads


My Thoughts

DNF @ page 104.

Sometimes you just know a book will stretch your patience to breaking point even when you’ve only read a handful of pages. I’m sorry, I just can’t do it. I bought Fallen on a whim several years ago but for some reason the right moment to read it never cropped up. Well, a few months ago I took a chance on it and it confirmed something I’d been suspicious of when I read Teardrop: I don’t like Lauren Kate’s writing style. It comes across as being incomplete – I know that sounds so weird, but it’s the only way I can describe it. Cam was the only potentially interesting thing I encountered in the hundred odd pages I read, but it wasn’t enough to justify investing in a series where I disliked everything else.


DNF Did Not Finish



2 comments:

  1. a bit sad that you don't like Lauren Kate's writing style, I agree it does come off that way but some how I like the sad/ dark feeling of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a better person than me for making it that far through Fallen...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...